3/26/11

Slow and deliberate

Weekend mornings should be slow and deliberate. Chilled out tunes, coffee with froth and a hot breakfast are a far cry from my usual to-go cup and cereal bar. This morning I made Bill's scrambled eggs accompanied by a couple of crumpets as my furnace was being repaired. As you can see, nothing gets in the way of my weekend morning routine.

When guests stay for the weekend, I like to serve up something special for breakfast. On a recent visit from my Aunt Michelle and Uncle Bob, they brought goodies:
Bourbon always goes down well as a gift in my house, particularly this one from the first legal still in Iowa since Prohibition. It's super-smooth and perfect for sipping straight. You can see from the photo below that we made quite a dent in it the night before.

The stone ground pancake mix from Bridgeton Mill made for a perfect breakfast. My Uncle Bob made the pancakes and hovered over the griddle while I worked on the chicken sausages.

The back of the pancake mix has a fantastic quote:

"The whiter the bread the sooner your dead. Eat whole wheat and stay on your feet."


The instructions are simple: 1 cup pancake mix, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tbsp melted butter, one egg. Mix and pour onto hot greased griddle, flip when dry on edge, remove when golden brown.

These pancakes taste unbelievably wholesome, even when drizzled with our favorite local honey. I've since made them with some blueberries which were equally successful. If you want to order this mix, you'll have to call the mill directly, which is exactly what Bob did. Until my next phone call, I'll be saving this mix in the freezer for the next lucky guest at Chez Killeen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger